Thursday, April 26, 2007

Off the shelf



I love it when a book just captures and I can barely read a page without stopping to ponder what I just read. That is the case with Reimagining Evangelism by Rick Richardson. I had read one of his prior books Evangelism Outside the Box and loved it, so after meeting him this week I decided to give the new one a try. Boy am I ever glad. It is so thought provoking concerning how we help others know Jesus. Here's some excerpts I have found particularly engaging:

Three skills to help us collaborate with the Holy Spirit in Evangelism:
1. Listen to the whispers and nudges of the HS to show us where God is at work in the lives of those around us.
2. Ask great questions of others to find clues for where God is at work in their lives.
-Do you have any religious background, and does it mean anything to you today?
-Have you ever had what you would consider a spiritual experience?
-Do you think there is a God? What do you think God might be like.
-What do you think about prayer?
-When have you experienced turning points and crises?
-What have you done with the spiritual side of life?
-Where do you seek perspective and help with your inner questions, doubts and struggles?

3. Pray for seekers and skeptics with seekers and skeptics.
-This one hit me because just the day of reading this I had a phone conversation with a skeptic and I felt the urge to pray with him and I didn't. Got to make that one by calling him again.


Good stuff. Pick up a copy if you want a good, challenging read on Evangelism.

No comments: