Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just a little patience


I think God is trying to teach me something...

Friday, I tried to do something really nice for my wife. We bought this van for a great price, but it did not come with remote entry. You should know that none of the cars we have owned have been equipped with that wonderful modern device. However, we have 4, yes, count them, 4 children, and more times than not my wife is out and about with them alone. Stumbling for keys to get into the van while maintaining an eye on 3 kids and holding 1 is not something I really want for my wife. So while my wife was away with Ben in KC, me and the 3 went to Circuit City to get remote entry installed. No bells (aka remote start). No whistles (aka alarm). Just keyless entry.

After I purchased the unit I was told it would take about 3 hours. So feeling adventurous, me and the 3 headed to target next door and then to a movie, Meet the Robinsons. 3 and a half hours later we walk back into Circuit City fully expecting the van to be ready. Think again. At that point it had just been brought in and would be another 2 hours. At this point, I really thought I might explode. I didn't, but it was pretty obvious I was frustrated.

To make a long story longer, we chose to wait. I ended up calling a friend who graciously came to be our taxi service. At the end of the day the keyless entry was installed, we got our van back and Sheila came home to a surprise. Now I doubt anyone would seriously find fault with me for being frustrated at the longer than expected wait. But it was one of many things that have happened to me that make me think I need more patience. I have noticed lately how impatient I am at the tiniest bit of waiting time and that bothers me. Since God calls patience one of the Fruits of the Spirit, that is a pretty good indication that I should see it if I am allowing the Spirit to work.

So, what should I do about it? God has obviously been trying to get my attention. Examples are legion and I don't have space to write about them all. Honestly, I'm not sure. I am praying for some direction. I certainly see that God wants to use waiting times to teach me patience, but other than being passive in those moments, what should I pray, do, think? I don't know yet. I wish I had an answer, like now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

STOP - you don't want to pray for patience - man that is dangerous - God may send you the Department of Motor Vehicles for a week!

Doug Gamble said...

Just trying to get home at 5 is training enough.