Monday, June 2, 2008

On being inconvenienced

I'm the type that loves to hit the day running. I don't like to get up and eat breakfast, read the paper, read my Bible or really do anything else before I go to work. To make sure I do the things that matter, like READING MY BIBLE and jogging, I set my alarm for 6 which leaves me plenty of time to be at the church by 8 (even though I'd rather be there by 7). And so today as I was jogging by my neighbor's house he asks if he can get a ride to work for his first day of training. After about 5 seconds of thinking, "this is going to make me late" I got over myself and worked it out that I actually would go in later in order to get him to work closer to his start time. And it was great to connect with him on the drive in.

Know this: I'm not bragging about a good deed. I'm confessing that I even had 5 seconds of feeling inconvenienced when a neighbor needed my help. If I don't think my FIRST job is to help my neighbor, then I'm not following Jesus of the Bible. After all, he did have something to say about our neighbor...

No comments: