Sunday, June 15, 2008

How are you growing as a father?

I have to ask myself that question today. It's an appropriate time to pause and consider how I've grown as a dad. I've noticed something interesting with each child being born. My love for my children has grown exponentially over the years. When my first was born I did love him, but it seems I love him even more today. Along with that my desire to grow as a dad has grown.

I've had to give up some things along the way to be a great dad. I'm not going to be a good golfer. I'm not going to have a lot of hobbies. I'm not going to travel a lot.

And yet, despite all the things I'm not going to be or have, the one thing that I get to be that more than makes up for any sacrifice is dad. The one and only dad to Ethan, Daisy, Grace and Ben.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Fathers Day just the best day of the year! It is awesome that God gives us the opportunity to influence, love, guide, lead, and teach these young lives for life on this earth as well as for life eternal. Demonstrating for our children daily, a representation of the attributes of God the Father is pretty daunting. My constant prayer is for God's help and wisdom in living this every day. And for my openess and sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's guidance. I know that I can't be very successful without His help. It is amazing how that love grows with our children. As you know, the love, respect, and blessings that return to us Dads is very much worth any "inconveniences" or things that we "give up" for this investment.

Doug Gamble said...

Thanks Jack. Great thoughts. You are a great example to me.