Monday, December 10, 2007

Sounds of the Season

I have been unseasonably in the mood to celebrate all things Christmas. This has especially been true for Christmas music. So, I thought I would throw out my top 5 Christmas albums. Now understand, they will be anything but normal Christmas fare and I am NOT a Christmas music expert. These are ones that are on heavy rotation this year though. In no particular order:


Mindy Smith's "My Holiday" was a real treat for this year. Her delicate voice over holiday standards and original material makes me glad it is Christmas. I think her style can best be described as Sarah McLachlan meets Emma Lou Harris. Sometimes Jazz, sometimes almost country. I said almost. My favorite track is "My Holiday."

Relient K's "Let it Snow Baby...Let it Reindeer" is just pure fun. These guys know harmonies AND punk. Lots of fun with the kids on this one. I'm torn on favorite track. "I Celebrate the Day" is an amazing song, but "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" is my favorite version of that song. Not for the faint of heart.

Barenaked Holidays is a classic by The Barenaked Ladies. These guys aren't doing anything anymore, but they made a classic with this CD. Check out "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings" for the best.

Sufjan Steven's "Hark ! Songs for Christmas" would be hard to classify. By far the least accessible. I'm not really sure I can even classify his style. I just like it. He's an amazing lyricist. "Amazing Grace" is amazing!

This compilation has more of the standard Christmas songs on it by Christan artists. Great arrangements by great vocalists. Jill Paquette's "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" blows the album away.



One of the things I do love about Christmas music is that most, not all, but certainly most is about Jesus. And so you have people singing about Jesus who don't' even follow him. I suppose some could look at that as a negative because many put out Christmas songs because it is easy to sell. However, what I see is that regardless of their motivation, Jesus is still praised.

BTW, all the artists above are Christ followers except The Barenaked Ladies.

No comments: