Friday, July 6, 2007

Apocalypto


Waiting to fire up the grill for a little post-4th get together with some friends so I thought I would write a brief post about the movie Apocalypto which I just saw last night. We don't make it to the movies very often unless it is a kids movie so with most movies I have to wait until DVD. This one written, directed and produced by Mel Gibson is about one man's attempt to save his wife and children after being taken captive by the Aztecs. Set in the time before the discovery of these people it is on a much grander scale about the end of one world as a new one begins. Let me warn you that it is in Gibson fashion (Braveheart, Passion of the Christ) ultra violent, but if you can stomach it, it is worth a view. Lots of action and a storyline to make you really care about the lead character. One theme that comes out is the desire of the lead character to start "a new beginning" after losing everything. It reminded me of how a new beginning really only happens after you lose something. Last week Greg taught on Jesus' hard words that you have to lose your life in order to find it. Losing life is never easy, but the life on the other side is so worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Doug...i thought the movie was cool - it was sure disgusting at times though -
it didn't really leave you with much hope - he finally gets away and then a new conqueror is rowing ashore. hmm....
crazy stuff - we will be in Guatemala next week in a village of Mayans - so I had to watch the movie - I picked up so many tips like what parts of an animal to eat and not eat - make sure I stay away from those temple things and watch out for vicious wild boars (man they are big).