Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Viennefesh! - some reflection on my message


If you missed the message you can get the audio or notes here.

I'm guessing that most from Suncrest do not want to hear the word "viennefesh" one more time after Sunday, but I have to use it at least one more time. Not only do I like saying it, but it stresses an important principle for our life: We need to create space for God in our life. We need a rhythm in our life that allows us to connect with our Creator on a daily, weekly and even yearly basis. God is not always heard in the storm or in the rush of our life. That's why we desperately need to STOP and listen.
There's a great story in 1 Kings 18 and 19 about the prophet Elijah. It is one of my favorite stories in the Bible. In 18, Elijah challenges false prophets to prove their god is real. They don't, but God does prove himself and Elijah is shown to be a true prophet. After this episode, his life is threatened and what does he do after this great victory? He runs for his life with his robe tucked between his legs. In 19, we read that he basically is so spent that he begs God to take his life. I think that he was so emotionally and physically drained from the events of chapter 18 that he thinks God has left him. After he is reassured by a visiting angel, he is told to travel on to Mount Horeb to meet God. He does so and this is what happens:

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" (1 Kings 19:11-13)

God was not in the wind nor the earthquake nor the fire. Where was he? He was in the gentle whisper. Now my point is just this: sometimes, a lot of the time, we have to slow down long enough we can quiet down so we can hear God.

Tomorrow I want to recommend a book that helps in the practical realm of how to do this.

4 comments:

Kay Roberts said...

I actually use that word, Doug! I totally relate to that passage here and now. I feel a though I am stuck in the "waiting on the Lord" and truly only receive his peace when I quiet down long enough to hear Him! Viennefesh!!

Doug Gamble said...

Sweet. I think it's kinda catchy.

Anonymous said...

what is the phonetic of that word?

Doug Gamble said...

Even though I know you are only joking, I'm going to give it to you anyway:

v-in-a-fesh

:)