Thursday, May 31, 2007

Stickin' it to the man

Jesus was always getting in trouble with the Religious leaders of his day. Rather ironic since he was God in flesh...but of course, they didn't believe that. We can read about one particular incident in Mark 2 where Jesus and His crew were walking through a grain field. They were hungry so they picked some of the heads off of the grain and ate it. Some Religious leaders witnessed the event and accused them of breaking the law.

Imagine...it is against their law, their religious law, to pick grain on the Sabbath. That particular law came as a result of some interpretation of other scriptures. Teaching upon teaching over the centuries became the basis to add to the law to create what some Rabbi's called a "hedge" around the law. The hedge or margin was there to keep you as far away as possible from breaking the law. In this case, the 4th commandment was being protected.

Jesus points out to them though that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27). Thus, humans could do what was appropriate on the Sabbath without fear of breaking the 4th commandment. The commandment was meant to give life, not restrict it.

Jesus was, in his own way, stickin' it to the man. "The Man" being the religious leaders who totally missed seeing God. Ironic, sense the Sabbath was a means to provide greater clarity in seeing God.

Not at all an expert on this subject or practice of it, but here are some things I have done to viennefesh:
  • Take a hike...literally...where I have to be quiet
  • Drive, anywhere and listen to worship stuff
  • Jog
  • Devote daily...usually morning for me...involves Scripture and prayer. I hear journaling helps, but I have never been consistent with it. Although this is a form I guess.
  • Withdraw weekly...I am a stickler for my day off. Since I work on Sunday, Friday is my day to be with my family. Sometimes it is hard to even find time on that day to withdraw, but it is worth it even for just a short while.
  • Starbucks of course...sit and pray...sit and read and alway, always drink coffee.
Anyway, the point is that it is important to get a rhythm to it, but the content can be as fresh as you make it.

Happy sabbath.

3 comments:

Lynn B said...

..."the content can be as fresh as you make it." Yeah, fresh is always best...Oh, you weren't talking about coffee? :+)
I have a huge rose bush, about 8 ft tall and wide,that blooms only once each season. It's in bloom now. So far I have only enjoyed it out my bedroom window, but I'm off today, so this morning the dog and I are going to viennefesh outside. See ya!

Kay Roberts said...

I do love to journal and wish I could do it more often...God truly speaks to me during that time...however, I am always interrupted by someone!!!Have you ever journaled your prayer time? It's a great way to stay focused and be intimate with God.

Doug Gamble said...

There was a time where I was doing pretty good by journaling on my computer, but I haven't for awhile. It does help because it helps focus my thoughts.