Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Changing hearts


I was reminded today that God is in the business of changing hearts...even hearts of pagan Kings. I was reading Ezra 7 and read about how God made King Artaxerxes, grandson to Esther (which also makes him grandson to Xerxes, shown to the right from the movie 300), favorable towards Ezra and the Israelites. They were essentially still in captivity but he basically gave him permission to return to Jerusalem to teach God's Word to the people there and stocked him up with all the stuff he would need including sacrifices for worship and gold. It just made me think that if God can change the heart of a pagan king, he can change the heart of anyone for His purposes. This is encouraging because Suncrest is involved in an initiative where we could really use the favor of town and city leaders. So that is what I am praying for...that he would change hearts to make them favorable towards us.

2 comments:

Lynn B said...

You must be reading the Old Testament with the One Year Bible; I read the same passage this week. I got a little behind when I went to New Orleans, and am finally caught up. I also thought it was cool that the king even gave them the animals for the burnt offerings. We should pray for the good favor of our neighbors and town officials.

Doug Gamble said...

oh yeah, the one year bible.