Sunday, June 24, 2007

In a pit with a lion on a snowy day


I had heard about In a Pit some time ago but never picked it up. After reading the author, Mark Batterson's blog for about 6 months now I decided to give it a shot. It helped that a fellow staff member had it. I am a firm believer in sharing resources, especially books. Don't buy something if you don't have to. Having said all that, I loved the book so much I am going to buy some copies to give away. This was such a great book from the angle that it gets you pumped up to allow God to do something great through you.

By nature I am an underliner when I read. I love to mark up a book with underlines and my own thoughts. Because the book wasn't mine, I went crazy having to stop each time there was a good thought and actually write it down somewhere else. But nonetheless I did manage to capture some great thoughts from the book. Here is the best of the best:

"God is in the business of strategically positioning us int he right place at the right time. But here's the catch: The right place often seems like the wrong place, and the right time often seems like the wrong time (12)."

"He always uses past experience to prepare us for future opportunities (14)."


"Our problems seem really big because our God seems really small. In fact, we reduce God to the size of our biggest problem (28)."


That thought right there caused a lot of introspection on my part. That's a huge statement.

"Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshipping what's right with God (67)"

"Many of us fail to seize the small opportunities because we're looking for the big opportunities (130)."

"Am I living my life in a way that is worth telling stories about?"

Great stuff and I didn't even mention the character in the Bible upon which the book is based. I'll let you pick up the book to discover this often overlooked giant of a man. There's some application from the book I want to blog about, but I have made a commitment to keeping my posts shorter, so I will save it for another time.

No comments: